Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The family ski trip-- from a chicken soup book.

Maybe I’ve been spending too much time watching the x-files or something, but I’m trying to think how I would describe skiing to extraterrestrials.
Aliens: Take us t your leader.

Me: Can’t right now, we’re going skiing.
Aliens: what is skiing?
Me: well, first you go to the top of this really, really high mountain that’s covered with this cold, slippery stuff called snow. The you strap these skinny little sticks on your feet, and try to go straight down in a standing position without killing yourself. And if you survive, you stand in a long line for the opportunity to do it again.
Aliens: Goodbye.
Me: where are you going?
Aliens. In search of intelligent life.

It was crowded in the rental shop. Plus, with the temperature only twenty degrees outside, everyone was dressed like the Pillsbury Dough Boy—only in shades of mauve and lime green.
“Maybe we should have rented equipment back in town,” my wife suggested.
“No way,” I said. “Remember last time? they gave me two left ski’s and two right boots. All day long I kept running into myself. Besides, now that I’m more experienced, I need more sophisticated stuff.”
“You and I never got off the bunny slope,” she said. “The kids were the only ones who advanced.”
“Well sure, but with better equipment I’ll be skiing circles around everyone out there.”
“That’s what I’m afraid of.” she said.
A young man approached us, wearing a ski hat pulled down to his eyebrows.
“Are you like into radical carving or do you get off by just dropping in and tucking?”
I hesitated.
“He kinda ski’s all over the place,” my wife told him.
“Oh, right, vary the terrain, challenge the brain. Cool. Got just the right set-up for you.”
He handed me a set of ski’s that looked like they might have been made by NASA.
“Progressive force bindings with environmental friction control, and ultra-fast racing skis with deep side cuts and a beta torsion core. You’ll fly with these babies.”
He turned to my wife. She glanced at me and my new racing outfit. “I just want something for the other parent who can’t afford to be out of work on crutches for 6 weeks,” she told him.
To me, the worst part of skiing is getting from the ski lodge to the chairs. There’s always a slope, and it’s always slippery. Usually, after 30 minutes or so, I find I have actually lost ground and am now standing in the parking lot.
Apparently, the 1200 dollar skis helped, because in just minutes, we safely made it to the bunny slope and got in line with all the other 5-year olds.
That’s when the rest of the family came barreling up, skidding to a stop right in front of us. I watched them for a second, smiled, then immediately fell down, taking the entire waiting line with me.
“Wow. Cool skis,” Jon said. “But this is the wrong lift, You want that lift over there.”
I followed the path of the chair lift up the mountain until it became a speck that disappeared into the thick clouds.
“You’re not… scared, are you?” asked Patrick.
“Of course not. it’s just that these skis may not be fast enough to ski up there on…”
“Black Death Run.”
"Right, Black Death Run."
My wife opted for coffee instead of sheer terror, leaving me as parent-in-charge.
Next thing I knew, we were standing somewhere that even mountain goats wouldn’t go.
I immediately issued a warning to the others.
“Don’t get to close to the edge of that cliff,” I shouted. “follow me.”
“This isn’t a cliff,” Christy said. “this is the trail. The cliff is over there somewhere…Dude?”
I’ve often wondered what my last words would be. I figured maybe something like “I did it for God and country,” or “I’m sorry I have but one life to give.”

As it turns out my last words contain only vowels, as in,
“Yiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooo..”
I’m not exactly sure what happened over the next few minutes. I remember a lot of white, some muted voices, and being poked by a number of sharp objects all over my body. Fox Mulder of the x-files would have called it an alien abduction. Maybe it was. Of course, why the aliens rolled me up like a giant snowball and dropped me off at the foot of the mountain I’ll never know.
But everyone seemed happy to see me, including the rental shop guy, who quickly removed my progressive force bindings and ultra-fast racing skis, and returned to his shop muttering something about hot-shot adults and why couldn’t they be more sensible---like teenagers.
The rest of my family arrived just as my wife handed me a cup of something that looked like coffee, but tasted like brandy.“Thanks, dear,” I said. “and you’ll be happy to know I’ve given up skiing.”
“we are too,” said Stacey.
“Really?” my wife asked.
“Yup,” added Shane. “tomorrow, we’re all going snowboarding.”
I sighed, pulled a pinecone out of my era, and downed the entire contents of the cup.

59 comments:

~Marie~ said...

Awesome story Heidi!! Not to be mean or anything - but that would probaly describe my Dad perfectly if anyone ever convinced him to try skiing!!

Anonymous said...

maybe someone should tell him to try snowboarding--my dad tried it last year =D

~Marie~ said...

He thinks that is even more crazy!! He doesn't even know how to skate!! Don't tell him I told you all this. :)

btw, Did your Dad like snowboarding??

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my dad too, he happens to be related to uncle Fred.
You know what,he went to blue mountain last year or the year before and he had never skiied before! I think he went b/c jeremy was invited to go with some other ppl. Dad couldn't stop himself going down the hill so he fell on purpose, took off his skis and walked the rest of the way down.
Anyway,I better not make fun of him
b/c I'm not any better than he is.

Anonymous said...

funny story chip, btw ;)

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, my dad loved it :)

Jer told me about that time, Karen, and he told it in a way that made it sound SO funny, lol
btw do you have a blog??

Janelle said...

That is pretty funny, sorry i can not say my dad is like that since he is a good skier:)

Anonymous said...

my dad is an awesome skier, but it was getting to boring for him, so he tried snowboarding for more of a challenge :)

Janelle said...

there is NO way my dad would even try to snowbaord. he just laughs at us when we do it:)

Anonymous said...

no Tim I dont have a blog......
I think that's a funny story Heidi.

Anonymous said...

When my dad was on one of the hills and fell, I asked if He was OK. He said he did it on purpose b/c if he didn't stop somehow, he would end up back in Brampton.

Heidi said...

LOL!!

yeah, i think they should've just snowboarded in the fist place!

it's not ike my dad, he's pretty good, but it does bring back a few memories for yours truly...

:-)

Cassi said...

x-files is like one of the coolest and freakiest shows ever!

Heidi said...

never seen it...

Anonymous said...

same here, whats it about???

Anonymous said...

never seen it either. It just looks weird to me. :D

good story by the way.

I can not see my dad skiing, he probably wouldn't even try on skis or anything. :D

Heidi said...

it sounds weird...

:-)

Janelle said...

no, i haven't seen it either..

btw i like your pic Heidi:):):)

Anonymous said...

yeah, nice profile pic!!

~Marie~ said...

Hey Jer - that sounds exactly like something your Dad would say!!

Heidi said...

thanks! i thought it was about time i changed it... i did once but they were a lot alike so nobody noticed. :-)

Janelle said...

Every time i c it quickly it looks like a monkey:)

Heidi said...

WHAT???

such an insult!!

stop looking at it quickly then!!

:-) :-)

Anonymous said...

are you sure you are looking at it the right way :)
you know, you aren't actually supposed to look at it sideways :D

Heidi said...

lol!

why, does it look like a monkey sideways?

Janelle said...

Sorry, i don't know but it does, i will try to always think of a hores before i look at it:)

And i am NOT looking at it side ways albert, i am looking at it nomelly!!!!

Heidi said...

lol just buggin you janelle!

Janelle said...

LOL, that is what i figured, you normally don't get mad at me:)

Anonymous said...

I dont see a monkey no matter what way I look at it.

~Marie~ said...

I can see it Janelle!! If you scroll up and down the page real fast it works!!

Heidi said...

LOL!!

if i scroll up and down the page i can't really see anything, though i guess it could pass for a very blurry monkey!

:-)

i was never mad at you janelle!!!

Janelle said...

Lol, you guys are funny, i c it alll the time:)

Thanx heidi, i am glad you are not mad at me:):):) c ya this afternoon:):):)

Heidi said...

wwwweeeeeiiiiiirrrdddd....

Janelle said...

I am not weird, its the picture:)

Heidi said...

i didn't say you were weird!

it's just weird that it looks like monkey to you.

ARE YOU INSULTING MY BEAUTIFUL PICTURE????

hmph.

:-)

want me to change it or what?

~Marie~ said...

Nah - I like looking at monkeys!! lol

Anonymous said...

ya, I am with you on this one Heidi, I can only see a big blur too.

Heidi said...

so it's a blurry-monkey-horsey

whatever...

lol the conversations we get into are pretty amusing...

so what looks better a monkey or a horse??

:-)

you all know what i think on that one.

Janelle said...

LOL, no keep it up, it is funny to look at, and i saw a horse today:):):)

Heidi said...

your sure it was a horse not a monkey??

Janelle said...

Yea, bneliece it or not:)

Janelle said...

that says believe!!

~Marie~ said...

I don't know what I like better. Monkeys can be sooo cute!! Especially little baby ones. But horses are pretty cool too.

Heidi said...

uncomparible, sorry.

:-)

monkeys are cute though.

Janelle said...

LOL:)

Anonymous said...

I would rather have a monkey cause you would be pretty much the coolest person ever, cause I would take it everywhere with me. :D
A horse is to big, and most of the time they are just a waste of money.
Sorry, but its the truth. :D

Janelle said...

Wow, your in trouble now albert:)

Heidi said...

"you would be the coolest person around."

that's all their good for, and i don't want to be the coolest person around thanks!

do you have security issues... lol!

well, a horse can be a hayburner i agree, but that is not their fault and they are still the awesomest animal ever!!! and you can make money with them too ya know, sometimes.

but i wouldn't want you to get a horse anyway... poor horse!

:-) no offense.

Anonymous said...

None taken.
I wouldn't get a horse anyways. Don't worry. I have better things to waste my money on. :D
no offense.

Well not the coolest person around, but you can train him to do cool tricks and then you can make money off the monkey too. :D

Heidi said...

ok, now i have taken offense!!

you should know better than to say something like that to me!!

like what? a ferrari??

dewd you're crazy...

yeah whatevah. so how come you can waste money on a monkey not a horse??

Anonymous said...

cause a monkey you can take almost everywhere, and all you need is a banana tree and your set. :D

I'm sorry, but a Ferrari would be so much faster than a horse. :D

Heidi said...

yeah, just pick one up from your local grocery store eh?

:-)

this isn't about speed!

lol i'd like to see a ferrari jump!

Anonymous said...

Ya right, I would never put a Ferrari off a jump, but if I did, I'm sure it would go alot farther than your horse. :P

Heidi said...

that's not what i meant!!!

not off a jump, over a jump.

but whatevah.

Anonymous said...

fine, we'll just say its a tie.
deal?
:)

Mel said...

You guys...

Man, if I was given a Ferrari I would take it off a jump! That would be kinda fun! :-D

Anonymous said...

sorry Melissa, but I don't think we would be friends again if you did. And plus Ferrari would probably sue you if they heard that. I would watch out if I was you. :D

Heidi said...

yeah right they wouldn't care they got their big bucks already!

but you might not live through it...

and no no tie i still win. :-)

but we can stop arguing if ya want.

Mel said...

Yeah I'll watch my back man...

Haha...we wouldn't be friends if I did that...that's funny :-)