Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On Giving Thanks

According to the American calendar, we are thanks-givers on November 25. Back home in Canada, we beg to differ. We like to eat our turkey while the weather’s still nice, so October 11 was the day for us. Pumpkin pie, red and yellow leaves, family dinners and a time to remember exactly who we are. We are children of an abundant God. He gives us this beautiful command and promise in Malachi 3:10: “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.”It amazes me how He has fulfilled this promise in my life. It is pressed down, shaken together and overflowing!
What a shame we only take one day out of the year to remind ourselves to give thanks. I believe it is the most fundamental part of who I am. I am a praise giver. I am a thankful child. How else are we explain our desires for good works? If it is all grace, why the rules? If nothing we can do will earn us salvation, why bother? If we are saved once and forever, why this continual process of serving, learning, growing and caring? Because we are thanks givers! Because it is impossible for us to come face to face with the reality of redemption and not be blown away. It is impossible for us to believe, and then not care. Our life’s goal has become the continual question “How can I praise Him? How can I make His name great?”
This is where the two fold power of the law comes in. It showed me that perfection is a standard I could never reach. It showed me how incredibly great my sins are! It is the tutor to bring me to Christ once for all, and constantly every day as I sin again and again. But it’s not only those things! It is the answer to my question “How can I serve Him.” It is a detailed, beautiful lesson on what we can do to bring the glory to our Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer. It is the breathtaking story of my life and your life, and if we read it well, it will turn every day into Thanksgiving Day.

No comments: