Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Love Hurts

Love hurts like a mother praying for the souls of her children
Letting them go and crying inside
Like disowning all she has that was never hers at all
Then pouring her life out in trust

Love hurts like surrender.

Love hurts like two people scraping through layers of defenses
Choosing to love, and then love when it’s harder
Like naked vulnerability that presses open, throbbing hearts together
Learning to know and be known

Love hurts like forgiving.

Love hurts like telling the truth when a lie would be easy
Learning to trust and be bruised
Like pursuing and chasing and never giving up
On grace that is just enough

Love hurts like sticking it out.

Love hurts like a widow in an empty bed
The tears on her face as she laughs at her memories
Like the pain in her heart that she would not trade
For a lifetime of empty comfort

Love hurts like wanting home.

Love hurts like two wooden beams nailed against each other
A ring of twisted thorns digging into a sweaty forehead
Like all hell condensed into the span of hours
The bread and the wine and the blood washing over

Love hurts like resurrection.

3 comments:

Melany said...

Heidi, this is beautiful. And so true. But I was curious about the choice of words in the last phrase. I realize you might be looking for a point of contrast, something unexpected or thought-provoking. But the literalist in me doesn't associate the resurrection with hurting, nor do I want to, since it is our glorious hope of escape from all the hurts of our fallen world. I think a word like "sacrifice", something intrinsically good, and yet painful, a sign of love, and also what you are describing in the last stanza might work better.

That said, it is your poem, and absolutely beautiful as is. So feel free to follow/reject the suggestion as your heart desires- I won't take it personally. :) And I hope you don't mind my offering my advice. Love you!!

Heidi said...

hmm yes I definitely see what you are saying. Glad it was thought provoking.

I guess my intention was to present resurrection as a result of the pain of love. Death before life, you know what I mean? My wording was probably confusing...

Love hurts because it kills things inside of us that make room for the resurrection of things that are dead. When we love God restores in us the image that was marred by the fall.

There are probably theological implication to this that I am missing. Any more feedback?

Lizzi said...

I think, if I may add my two bits (not terribly well thought through), I would say that resurrection is the act of leaving death behind and being rebirthed to life, which still has a connotation of putting off something that I think Biblically could be associated with pain (death).

And on a different note when I read that sentence I immediately think of Aslan tearing the skin from Eustace when he becomes a boy again =D