... on the growth of Christianity less than one hundred years after the crucifixion of Christ.
Please read, it's really great.
"I have never been present at any of the Christian's trails, and I am unaware of the methods and limits used in our investigation and torture. Do we show any regard to age or gender? If a Christian repents of his religion, do we still punish him or pardon him?
Currently, I am proceeding thus-- I question them as to their religion; if they state they are Christian, I repeat the questioning, adding the threat of capital punishment. If they still persist, I order them to be executed. I do not believe that their stubbornness should go unpunished.
I recently questioned a group of Christians who, after interrogation, denied their faith. From this event, I could see more than ever the importance of extracting the real truth, with the assistance of torture, from two female prisoners. But I was able to discover nothing except depraved and excessive superstition.
I therefore thought it wise to consult you before continuing with this matter. The matter is well worth referring to you, especially considering the numbers endanger. This contagious superstition is not confined to the cities only, but has also spread throughout the villages.
Nevertheless it still seems possible to cure it."
Wow. Hearing the stories of the persecuted from the "other side" definitely gives a whole new perspective!
I wonder who those two female prisoners were... isn't it an amazing thought that someday we will meet them?
My first thought after reading this was, "wow we sure proved him wrong!" and in essence this is true. Christianity has thrived and is a main religion today.
But I was thinking about it, I'm wondering, is it still possible today to "cure" the dreadful disease of Christianity??
Is it possible that maybe the torture and "capital punishment" hasn't been working, so perhaps their is a better way of ending this "depraved and excessive superstition"??
Maybe by a show of acceptance, mixed with a healthy dose of tolerance and "religious freedom" we can rip the heart right out Christianity and change it into a mundane, "safe" religion reserved for Sunday only.
How contagious is our Christianity?
How many numbers are "endangered" by us?????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Lots to think about there.
Thanks so much for sharing this Heidi. Not only is it a good reminder to watch out in our own society, lest we fall into the category of having a dull and powerless faith, but it also helps me to remember the persecuted who still do give their lives for their faith. Let's keep praying for those who are tortured and ridiculed for the sake of Christ, that in these trials they will not deny the faith, as we read about some in this letter!
Yeah I don't think we realize it but this kind of thing didn't just happen hundreds of years ago, it happens today.
Today.
Right now, someone is probably being beaten for their faith.
We have so much freedom, what are we doing with it???????
Thast's cool....
sorry I can't come up with a more philosophical answer... I feel like I just woke up.
Post a Comment