Thursday, November 11, 2010

Trust

It is nighttime
the world is a wall of black
broken only by an occasional streetlight
or the glare of a passing car.
My own headlights reflect
off the shiny black pavement
as the rain drums its erratic patterns
on the roof of my car.
I can see a little ways
through the mist
dancing wildly in front of me
my lights bounce off the reflectors
in the middle of the road
one
by one.
I don't know what comes after
the next few feet
as I speed along
the world is dark and quiet
sleeping for a few more precious moments.
Soon enough
morning will come
the darkness will begin to take shapes
the hills will show themselves
in shades of gray and silver.
Soon enough
the road will stretch far out
in front of me
but for now
as I move forward
one reflector at a time
I have what I need.

3 comments:

Scott Williams said...

Love it! It reminds me of pictures where a winding road is the focal point.... I love those kind of pictures!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=440550716541&set=a.440549866541.245524.597366541

Mom said...

Wonderful, Heidi. You must have been inspired for this on your way back to Phili on Monday, right?

Heidi said...

on the way there actually. when it was rainy.