God has overwhelmed us with His blessing and the unsearchable riches of His grace.
Praise Him for His faithfulness to us!
The last few days have not been without their challenges- moving across the country is definitely an overwhelming thing, even if it is only for a little while. It feels like we have been gone for a really long time already, and Miriam and I have both been strongly reminded of just how blessed we are by our wonderful families and friends - we miss you all so much!!
It is very interesting living with your best friend. Your differences become more clear, as do your similarities. We have said the exact same thing at the exact same time at least 10 times if not more -it is a little frightening! :-) But we are having great fun together.
The first day of classes was really good. It was a little overwhelming going over the courses in the introduction. We will both be taking James 1:5 to heart: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."
We spent most of yesterday outside at a local park (beautiful place!) studying. It took me 6 hours to get through the prologue and chapter 1 of Love's Executioner and write a 1/2 page on it. I felt like my brain was stretched in every direction. It was a fantastic feeling. I am very excited about where this year is going to take Miriam and I... it will be challenging, but so worthwhile.
Miriam and I were both dreading this morning, missing our own wonderful church and preaching. As it turned out, we went to a little Reformed Presbyterian church that Deanna was part of during the last few months of our studies. It was such a blessing. It is a really small church, and quite frankly the friendliest church I have ever seen. We felt so welcomed and even had the opportunity to share lunch with the congregation afterwards. (Which was good since we don't have much food in the house at the moment :-)) Their service was also excellent, the Pastor was very easy to listen to and present the truth of the gospel in a direct, clear and poignant way. They have no instruments in their singing, (which I will miss) and they sing all Psalms, but they sing from their hearts and with beautiful harmonies. I will still miss our wonderful church, but it is such a comfort to know we will not be missing the ability to gather in wholehearted worship with the people of God!!
This has been very long winded already, but I also just wanted to share with you something I read in Elisabeth Elliots book "Secure in the Everlasting Arms" this morning. It is on being content.
"To love God is to love His will. It is to wait quietly for life to be measured out by One who knows us through and through. It is to be content with His timing and His wise apportionment (Do I feel that my portion is too much of something? Tooo little of something else?). It is to follow in the steps of the Master, as did Paul, who was able to say that he had learned contentment no matter what the curcumstances. His circumstances when he wrote that? Prison! No easy lesson, but "great gain," which is the sum of godliness plus contentment (see 1 Timothy 6:6).
Jesus loved the will of His Father. He embraced the limitations, the necessities, the conditions, the very chains of his humanity as he walked and worked here on earth, fulfilling moment by moment His divine commission and the stern demands of His incarnation. Never was there a word or even a look of complaint. E.B. Pusey (1800-1882) suggested rules for those who wish to gain contentment that surely reflects Jesus' own attitude.
1. Allow thyself to complain of nothing, not even the weather.
2. Never picture thyself to thyself under any circumstances in which thou art not.
3. Never compare thine own lot with that of another.
4. Never allow thyself to dwell on the wish that this or that had been, or were, otherwise than it was, or is. God Almighty loves thee better and more wisely than thou doest thyself.
5. Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's not thine. The heaviest part of sorrow is often to look forward to it. "The Lord will Provide." "
What a humbling list! I know I have broken every single one of these things more than once in the last few days. Yet God is gracious! May He continue to teach us more and more every day.
So that is my lengthy update, now I want to hear all about your life! Please comment and tell me what you are up to, how your day was... etc.
I love you all!
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Dearest Heidi,
How wonderful to hear that you found a church you can be happy in and be fed and nurtured. Your quotes are excellent and I hope I will remember that for always. We missed you today at church, but it was a good day. I asked Peter to update the church website so you can hear the sermons if you want. The ones from August won't be able to go on because of technical difficulties, but this week's and last should be fine. How many church services do you have and what time? Love you tons!!!!!
Good to have these updates. Looking forward to seeing how God changes you two in the next year. I know you're going to be different people when you get back.
Thanks for those quotes. I've been complaining a LOT this week about how this school year's going to go.
I'd say it doesn't compare with moving out of the country, but that would be comparing...
We have two services at 11 and 6.
I would love to listen to one one Dad's sermons sometime... I missed his preaching!
I am so glad you found a good church, I know that for me that was an immeasurable blessing in our transition here.
Good piece by Ellisabeth Elliot. I esp. like what she says about never wishing to be under any other circumstances than the ones that God has placed us in. The first point might be a good quote to share with Scott, in light of his "complaint free world" quest (for school). Wonder how that's going?? :)
My day: Began after midnight :) when I arrived back from Colarado, where I had been attending Eric & Leslie Ludy's Weekend Discipleship Conference. (AMAZING!) Went over to my classroom to prep for today's lessons, then caught some sleep. Spent the day with 18 out of 20 of the most adorable kindergardeners. Unbeknownst to me, my dad was praying for a good day, and I was blessed with one. Came home for dinner, talked with my sis, heard that Stephen is coming to stay with me for a month! Talked to Andrew, washed dishes, made some cafe francais, read a book, and came back to school to make lesson plans for the rest of the week. Finally ready to go to sleep. :) Love you!
Thanks Melany! So good to hear from you! That's awesome that Stephen is living with you! I'm sure it will be so nice for you to have the company for a while.
Love and miss you guys! You should come down at Christmastime too! :-)
Hi Heidi,
Glad to hear you're doing welll and being stretched! and still enjoying the book :)
What a good reminder re contentment! I've been so sick that we haven't been able to go camping - hard not to wish or imagine other circumstances but God does know best and does what's best so I'm trying to rest in Him thru it all and not complain.
Love you!
Post a Comment